Friday, March 15, 2013

Pizza!

Do you have a pizza night? Ours is almost always Friday. It started as an easy way to have a meatless meal, and has developed into a favorite. The ingredients are always on hand, it requires minimal prep work from Mama, and the kids can help with spreading sauce, sprinkling cheese, and shaking on herbs. We always make homemade dough, and while I started with a Pioneer Woman recipe, I've changed it enough that I think I can call it my own, and I'm happy to share it with you!

Honey Wheat Pizza Dough
Makes 1 large pizza, enough to feed 4 healthy appetites

3/4 cup warm water
1 scant teaspoon dry active yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons honey

Mix those ingredients together well, and set aside for 10 minutes

In mixer, place the following:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Turn mixer on low, and add 3 tablespoons olive oil to flour mixture. Then add the yeast mixture, and blend briefly until a soft dough forms. Cover bowl with a tea towel and set aside for an hour or so. Then flatten it out to the shape and size you want, cover with your toppings, and bake at 500 for about 10 minutes. We use a pizza stone for this, but a baking sheet is fine too.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I will have to try your recipe. We have pizza night, as well, and use a "Sicilian" recipe that we have used for years. I agree, it's a good way to cut down on meat consumption. :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, do try it! It's prettty good. And easy. Glad to have you here, Jules.

    ReplyDelete