Thursday, April 11, 2013

First Grade in Our Home: Memory Work Round-up


Since April is National Poetry Month, I thought I would list here the poems the children have learned this year...and then I decided (following Brandy's example), why not just round-up all the memory work my two first-graders have learned this year?  So here are all the poetry, hymns, songs, and prayers for this school year.  Perhaps it will give you some ideas for your own early-elementary students?


Poetry
Vincent - The Young Dandelion (Muloch), The Owl (Tennyson), The Eagle (Tennyson), The Crocodile (Carroll), Furry Bear (Milne), Knight-in-Armor (Milne), Autumn Fires (Stevenson), My Bed is Like a Little Boat (Stevenson)
Gianna - On Easter Day (Thaxter), Between Two Hills (Sandburg), It's All I Have To Bring Today (Dickinson), What Robin Told (Cooper), Rice Pudding (Milne), The Mirror (Milne), The Morns are Meeker (Dickinson), The Gardener (Stevenson)

Hymns
Holy God We Praise Thy Name
To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King
Asperges Me
Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
Alma Redemptoris Mater
Ave Regina Caelorum
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
O Little Town of Bethelehem
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Now Thank We All Our God
O Sacred Head Surrounded
Jesus Christ is Risen Today
Ave Maria (chant)

Folk Songs
Do Re Mi
The Star-Spangled Banner
America the Beautiful
Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Home on the Range
Edelweiss
Over the River and Through the Woods
God Bless America
You're a Grand Old Flag
I've Been Working on the Railroad
Battle Hymn of the Republic
O My Darlin Clementine

Prayers
Pater Noster (Our Father in Latin)
The Angelus
Benedic Domine (mealtime prayer in Latin)
St. Andrew novena prayer
Ave Maria (Hail Mary in Latin)
Queen of Heaven
Apostle's Creed
Act of Contrition
Soul of Christ
Angele Dei (Angel of God in Latin)

Other
Pledge of Allegiance
PNEU Motto, as well as this longer version from When Children Love to Learn:

I am a child of God,
I ought to do His will.
I can do what He tells me,
And by His grace, I will.





Even though we'll be finishing up Year 1 next week, we'll be continuing with our daily subjects year-round, including our few minutes of memory work each day.  So I'm hoping all this all stays put in those busy brains! ;)  

And as we end the school year and move into our "summer" break, one my my to-dos is to plan next year's memory work.  Our poems will be chosen by the children from our scheduled poets, and I'll be picking hymns from the parish hymnal, but I'm still deciding on folk songs, and I'm hoping to hit at least one psalm and one parable next year, per Miss Mason's suggestions.  Any suggestions for ones to start with?  I'd love to hear what other young children are working on!

No comments:

Post a Comment