Sunday, August 4, 2013

Nature Study Outing - Under the Bridge


I revisited a favorite local nature trail this week with my little crew.  My one-year-old daughter is such a trooper--she hung in there for a 1.5-mile walk on her own with barely a fuss.


We veered off the paved trail and under the bridge to take a closer look at the creek.
 


...and a look at our friend, poison oak.  Not so red today, but still abundant!


Last time we came here, the milk thistle was in bloom; this time, it was just about completely dried up.  But the monkey flower and yellow-star thistle had taken its place.



The kids' favorite sight was the pair of turkey vultures that perched for about ten minutes right above us on a telephone pole.  We see them often here, but not usually that close.  And the sapsucker/woodpecker holes--always fun.


And my favorite sight was seeing my children ahead on the trail...holding hands.  Melt.



What have you been seeing in your neck of the woods?  I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment