Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Books

We have quite the collection of Christmas books at our home, and it seems to be growing each year! I thought it would be fun to mention a few of our favorites. I'd love to hear what you are loving too!

I think the entire Toot and Puddle series is our most favorite. The kids adore it, my husband and I think it's hilarious and sweet, and the two Christmas books are no exception. Holly Hobbie is so excellent at simple narrative and beautiful drawings.

I'll Be Home for Christmas tells the tale of Toot's adventures as he tries to get home from a family reunion in Scotland. He gets a lift in a sleigh from a mysterious driver:) Adorable. There is a sweet little film by the same name which makes a nice holiday treat for special days.


Let it Snow is another Toot and Puddle Christmas book, and, as you can imagine, it's all about wishing and hoping for snow! And about finding just the right present for someone special.


We also love Olivia and all her antics, and her Christmas story is very fun. She loves to sing "Angels We Have Heard on High," and is very concerned that a fire in the fireplace is a hazard for Santa. Funny, silly, Olivia.



The Nutcracker is a Christmas classic, and since Cate is so in love with ballet at the moment, this is a favorite. The story is beautifully retold, and the illustrations are completely lovely. It's one we will keep for a long time, I'm sure.

All of us have been charmed by Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren, and her Christmas in Noisy Village is a beautiful way to experience some Swedish Christmas traditions: caroling, gingerbread, church on Christmas morning, the advent wreath, and sharing treats with those around you. I love this one.


There are some wonderful books about the Christ Child's birth, but I have a soft spot for this little book, Room for a Little One, about how the animals make room for each other in the stable, and also make room for the Holy Family. I always get choked up at the last line: "A Little One came for the world."


Do you know the Bear books by Karma Wilson? They are so wonderful and funny and very gentle, and my littles love Bear Stays up for Christmas. Bear need to hibernate, but his friends don't want him to miss Christmas...when they fall asleep, what is he up to?



We always read the nativity story on Christmas Eve, and this version is beautiful, full of engravings, songs, and of course the bible text.



And finally, a new find. At least new to us:) It's a bit longer, really a short chapter book, but it has it all: family, warmth, love, and a plucky little girl looking for her home and her doll. My girl and I simply loved Holly and Ivy. Right now, it's a library book, but I intend to purchase this one very soon. It's a treasure.


So, that's a short selection of some books we love for Christmas. What about you?


3 comments:

  1. Cute choices Angela. We don't have Christmas Eve and sounds beautiful. Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gianna read Holly and Ivy book earlier this week and loved it. And anything Noisy Village is a perpetual favorite around here! I'm going to have to check out Christmas Eve--looks promising! I am a sucker for engraving or woodcut illustrations, so that one sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you should link this up with a Christmas picture book share Brandy is doing at Afterthoughts: http://thoughtsaftergod.blogspot.com/2012/11/five-favorite-christmas-picture-books.html

    I'm hoping to post some of my favorites sometime this week! :)

    ReplyDelete