Saturday, April 27, 2013

Summer Plans

I've been contemplating our options for continuing learning during the summer months, keeping a balance with relaxation and fun extra activities. Cate will be beginning Year 1 in the fall, and we have had a lovely kinder year. I don't want to lose all momentum, but I also don't want to have a full schedule all through the hot weather. I tend to melt when the temps go up, and I am a firm believer in summer being summer;) So, here are my thoughts on what we will be up to for the next 3-4 months!

Carry on:

Math-We typically do a math lesson 4-5 days a week, and I think we will just keep going at that pace. It's 20 minutes each morning, which is completely do-able, and the continual adding and practicing of skills is so helpful in competency. We are currently working through RightStart Level B, and it's been a perfect fit for short, fun lessons.

Reading-No assigned readings, since we're "just" in Kinder, but I have a line up of new, wonderful books for Cate to work through. In particular, she's looking forward to Twig, by Elizabeth Orton Jones, and the Mouse and the Motorcycle series by Beverly Cleary.

Nature Study-We'll still do our weekly outings with our group, I hope, and work in our journals.

Religion-Daily saint reading, bible stories, and prayer memorization.

Add in:

Art lessons-I have lots of new supplies for us to use, and I want to do regular lessons from Drawing with Children.

Habits-We need to solidify the habit of attention and the habit of doing careful work.

Notes:

*We are in the midst of building a house, so days may get irregular and messy;)
*Mama wants to finish up more reading of Miss Mason's volumes and have a better sense of our underlying philosophy before we launch into Year 1.
*Mama also needs to figure out: lesson plans, piano lessons for the fall, and figure out art prints, music pieces, free reading list, and organize supplies once we move into our new space...whenever that is!
* I also want to hone my own art skills, work on my nature journal, and focus on a few habits of my own which need attention.

I hope there will be lots of beach days, ice cream, books read in the shade, and long naps in the breeze. Summer should have all of that and more! And fall should feel like a clean start, which is why it's nice to address a few things now so as to begin anew in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment