Monday, June 17, 2013

Book Sale

On Saturday, I took my girl with me to a local library book sale, and I thought I'd share some of the treasures we found!


Dear Mili by Grimm- Illustrations by Sendak are lovely.
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo-Never read this one, but I know it's beloved. I'm sure we'll enjoy it.
These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder : to add to our Little House collection
The Real Book About the Wild West by Adolph Regli (1952)- A fun collection of tales of the Old West.
Golden Tales of Our America by May Lamberton Becker (1957)- A real living book, a collection of stories from well-known American authors, such as Hawthorne, Sarah Orne Jewett, and Francis Bret Harte.
Mother West Wind's Children by Thornton Burgess- Always fun.
The Tough Winter by Robert Lawson- We haven't read this yet, but it looks like a wonderful chapter book about animals living in a forest. The simple pencil drawings are stunning.
Elizabeth Ann Seton: Wife, Mother, Sister, Saint by Janet Wiley (1977)- Ah the golden age of Catholic culture...the 70's:) Actually, this is wonderful. It's really a story about Seton's life, told in a lovely narrative way.
Mary by Demi- Gorgeous picture book about the Blessed Mother, told through scripture.

And a couple of books for Mama!

The Best of the World's Classics, Volume VI, Great Britain and Ireland by Henry Cabot Lodge, Editor in Chief (1909)- This is part of a series, and I've never seen it before. I'll be keeping my eye out. I have another old series from the early 20th c. which is similar (a collection of stories, poems, plays, in several volumes), and it looks like I might be starting another collection!

Brief French Grammar by Fraser, Squair, and Carnahan (1931)- No info online about this book, just some places to purchase a copy. It looks pretty advanced, so it won't be used soon, but maybe someday! In any case, I just had to buy it...I love the petite size, the color, and, of course, the vintage quality of it:)

I love book sales. Grand total for these gems: $10. Only downside: book buyers are ruthless and will roll their little carts right over you in an effort to grab a book cheap and sell it online. I really hate that.


No comments:

Post a Comment