Friday, November 15, 2013

{In a Week}


A peek into our home this week...

dice bingo - in italian!

beginning cursive

"handcrafts"

finally remembered to get out the fall books!

Something funny: my daughter made up what she calls a "fun new word game" this afternoon.  As she explains it to me excitedly, "You pick three hard words from this book, I'll study them until I can picture each in my mind, and then you can ask me each one and I'll write them down from my memory!"  Oh, the irony of a Charlotte Mason education--the poor deprived child has never had a spelling list or test in her life.  :)

And last but not least...


...we all agree this is our favorite poem by Eugene Field so far this term:

The Rock-a-By Lady from Hushaby Street
The Rock-a-By Lady from Hushaby street
        Comes stealing; comes creeping;
The poppies they hang from her head to her feet,
And each hath a dream that is tiny and fleet
She bringeth her poppies to you, my sweet,
        When she findeth you sleeping!
There is one little dream of a beautiful drum
        "Rub-a-dub!" it goeth;
There is one little dream of a big sugar-plum,
And lo! thick and fast the other dreams come
Of popguns that bang, and tin tops that hum,
        And a trumpet that bloweth!
And dollies peep out of those wee little dreams
        With laughter and singing;
And boats go a-floating on silvery streams,
And the stars peek-a-boo with their own misty gleams,
And up, up, and up, where the Mother Moon beams,
        The fairies go winging!
Would you dream all these dreams that are tiny and fleet?
        They'll come to you sleeping;
So shut the two eyes that are weary, my sweet,
For the Rock-a-By Lady from Hushaby street,
With poppies that hang from her head to her feet,
        Comes stealing; comes creeping.

I heard my preschooler reciting bits of it to her little brother after just hearing it once, and I knew it was a winner.

Happy weekend, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment