Wednesday, November 12, 2014

{From My Commonplace}

Never did she find anything so difficult as to keep herself from losing her temper when she was suddenly disturbed while absorbed in a book. People who are fond of books know the feeling of irritation which sweeps over them at such a moment.  The temptation to be unreasonable and snappish is one not easy to manage.
"It makes me feel as if someone had hit me," Sara had told Ermengarde once in confidence.  "And as if I want to hit back.  I have to remember things quickly to keep from saying something ill-tempered."
We are listening to Francis Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess on audio, read by Justine Eyre, and it is truly delightful.  I could never have done such a lovely job of the text, as much as I enjoy reading aloud.


(And let's just say that my children may be able to relate a bit to Sara's sentiment here.  Not that I can, though.  Oh no, not at all.)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, oh, yes. Precisely how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This line always resonates with me, too, Celeste. Not that it does you, of course. I am referring to how your children feel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote! I know exactly how that feels. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete