Tuesday, January 15, 2019

{From My Commonplace} :: Pre-Reading Edition

One of my annual goals is to keep up with pre-reading my Year 7 students' books. I choose to privilege that reading over personal reading at times partly because of  my personality -- I feel better about our homeschool when I know I am prepared. It allows me to rest in the process much more peacefully and engage with my children more joyfully.

But I also privilege it because the books are just plain wonderful. There are so many quotes that speak to other reading I am doing, so many big ideas to chew on, such rich style. I am constantly making entries into my Reading Journal.

Here are a few from just this past week, split into To Be and Not To Be. :)

To Be

Let's be Romans -- in thorough preparation!


Let's see inside our kids and believe in them-- let's be Joan.


Not to Be

First, I love a good metaphor. Let's not be like the Lycosa!


And let's not be short-sighted, narrowly-focused and utilitarian.


As I read, I am reminded of the Way of the Will chart mentioned in The Living Page. Interesting how the Romans are both "to be" and "not to be" this week, depending on what measuring stick we're using.

And can't we say the same of so much?

4 comments:

  1. Adding the ancient Rome book to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book. We read the one on Ancient Greece last term too!

      Delete
  2. I just read that part in Joan last night and noted that I needed to add it to my commonplace book! Love how you have segmented them into "To be" and "Not to be"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan is definitely providing lots of fodder for my commonplace! :)

      Delete