Tuesday, October 15, 2019

{From My Commonplace}

I have been doing a good amount of reading lately, but not a lot of sharing about it. I think a What We're Reading post is overdue!

In the meantime, a couple snippets from my commonplace, one from my educational philosophy notebook and one from my fiction notebook (I like to keep them separate)...


"The resourcefulness which will enable a family of children to invent their own games and occupations through the length of a summer's day is worth more in the after life than a good deal of knowledge about cubes and hexagons, and this comes, not of continual intervention on the mother's part, but of much masterly inactivity."
-- Charlotte Mason's Home Education, p. 192 


"No, what he must decide in the microcosm of his one being, was the same decision that lay before all his people. Would he keep himself separate, dedicated to a faith that made him solitary among whatever people he lived, or would he pour the stream of his life into the rich ocean of all human life about him? Does he lose himself in that ocean? But would he be lost? Nothing was ever lost. What he was, his ancestors in him, his children to come from him, would deepen the ocean, but they could not be lost."
-- Pearl Buck's Peony, p. 189

No comments:

Post a Comment