Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Keeping Company :: September 2017

Welcome back, friends!  I hope you had a wonderful summer -- with plenty of time for notebooking thrown in!  I'm happy to be back in this space hosting your lovely, lively examples for the Charlotte Mason community.

Starting the Discussion

Here's a sampling of the keeping that has kept us busy over the last couple months...

Xavier's Pagoo notebook

Cate and Xavier's "weekly drawing" subject - they chose Pallas Athena

Funny - Bridget found an old notebook in the scratch bin,
and ERASED all the pencil already in it to make herself a copybook!
(Yes, I do have extra notebooks for them to use!
I don't know why she thought she required a pre-loved one, but I admire her keeping spirit! LOL)

The early bits of Gianna's Livingstone map

A snippet from Gianna's Prose and Poetry notebook -- the three of us are all loving The Hobbit!

I'm still working toward my entry-a-week nature journaling goal, though I certainly fudged a bit around Damien's birth, catching up by adding in some extra entries once I was out of bed and at the table again. ;)  And I have a couple new keeping practices to share here on the blog soon: a reading journal I am keeping for Year 6, which I'd call a visual-creative spin on a pre-reading commonplace book (clear as mud?), and then my Mother's Diary, which I have going as an e-notebook in Evernote.

So as you start your new school year: what keeping habits are you hoping to build?

This Month's Round-Up

Melissa shares her daughter's lovely geography notebook.  My kids really enjoy tracing maps, so I'm thinking about how to stretch out the kind of study Melissa arranged over several years. I particularly love how she bound it as a keepsake.

Melanie has some poetry and a peek at her nature journal awaiting us.

Would you like to take a peek at a week in the life of a Year 7 student?  Carol satisfies our interest!

And Amy pairs photograph and quote perfectly, per usual: this Price Edward Island entry to her Monday Ponderings series particularly caught my eye.

On to some favorites from the Instagram world...

NATURE JOURNALS
happylhomemaker1 - athena_amidstthereeds -  katosborne - barefootedarrows - adventureadaycm
angelaboord - stoppingforbutterflies - home_again_six - charlottemasonpoetry - obispo98

A FEW FUN ECLIPSE ENTRIES!
sarah_jonna - raising.saints - ecwetzel

COMMONPLACE BOOKS
churchmouseathome - rmbell2008 - littledrops5
cara.stuchlik- maricsa81 - growingbrave

LOVELY MISCELLANY!
brandyvencel - amyofhearthridge - vlcjrogers - corinna_rhodes_
this_little_homeschool - mariasugiyopranoto - simplicityhomeschool - windymorning_3

I could hardly do justice to the wonderful examples linked up this month, so please take a look through the Summer Collection and the Instagram tag yourself!  You'll be glad you did.

Now it's your turn!

The Link-Up

Instructions:
:: For bloggers: Click on the "Add my link" button below, and it will prompt you to include the information for your post.  Once you submit it, your link will be added to the list, and others will be able to click over and read what you have shared.
:: For Instagrammers: Tag related photos with #KeepingCompanyCM.

Guidelines:
:: Remember to link to a specific post and not to your blog's homepage. 
:: Any posts about CM-style Keeping are welcome!  The prompt is optional.  Your post can be as simple as a photo of your commonplace book or your kids drawing.
:: Feel free to add more than one post.  The link-up will be open for a month, so you can come back and add more if you are so inclined.
:: You can grab the button over there on the sidebar if you'd like to add it to your post or site.

Looking forward to seeing what you share this month!


14 comments:

  1. YOU'RE BACK!!! I checked faithfully and have my reward this morning ;) I was starting to feel a little lost without you. Can't wait to hear about your new keeping practices. And see more pictures of Damien. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 You are too kind, friend. Damien pictures coming up next week! :)

      Delete
    2. Same here we have been missing you and your wonderful family

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to hear about your new reading journal and Mother's Diary ideas! For this school year, we are beginning a BOC. And of course, the keeping we did in Year 3 will continue this year (nature/science drawing, art drawing, map work, etc.). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing yours over the course of the year as well! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back on the blog again, Celeste & to see what everyone has been up to. Hope you all enjoyed your summer break. We've just gone into spring over here - a very welcome transition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we are looking forward to the fall transition -- it has been such a hot summer here this year! Thank you so much for the kind welcome. Hoping to be here a bit more often as I carve free time out for blogging again. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm looking into expanding my CM education even more and to continue to enjoy the riches of the CM education that I already love. I continue to narrate and commonplace through college classes. I would so love to give a tour one day through my notebooking! Looking forward to seeing more from your homeschool in this coming year and I'm hoping to share some commonplaces on IG sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, Frannie Ruth! Your goal to go through college using CM methods and feeding your mind and soul through schole is so inspiring! :)

      Delete
  6. Welcome back Celeste! You have a beautiful bundle on your hands :)

    Thanks for featuring Riley's geography notebook! Gianna looks like she has a great start with her Livingstone map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! We are all really enjoying Livingstone this year -- a fun map to work on, and an inspiring journey to be reading about. :)

      Delete
  7. Commonplace Entry:
    https://hearthridgereflections.wordpress.com/2017/11/27/monday-ponderings-november-27th/

    ReplyDelete