Monday, September 24, 2018

{This and That}

Hi friends! First, some announcements from the past week...


First: I'm honored to be part of a team working on a new Charlotte Mason print magazine!

Here's what I shared over on Instagram about it earlier this week:
Here we are, ready to officially launch Common Place Quarterly, the magazine for the homeschool mama who wants support and inspiration curated in the spirit of Mason, assembled from the hearts of fellow mamas on the journey, and delivered right to her doorstep. 🎉

This week @commonplacequarterly will be sharing a peek into the various sections of the magazine. You can also preview the content and view the whole team on the website -- just click on over to the IG account, press follow! 😉 , and then check out the link in profile.

The site is also all set up for pre-orders and year-long subscriptions! Orders have already begun rolling in and we could not be more thrilled.

I personally will be co-writing a column about notebook-keeping, sharing a gem from the archives (with discussion/journaling prompts!), and doing some behind the scenes work as well as feature writing.

The first issue, Beginnings, will be heading to print in time for a winter release. We would love to have you join us as part of the @commonplacequarterly community. ❤️
Please head over to the website to read more!

~~~

Have you had a chance to check out the CMEC retreat package yet? Over six hours of solidly Charlotte Mason workshops and a 70-page handbook that will guide you through a retreat from the comfort of your home.


If you have already purchased, I would love to hear your feedback! Email me and let me know what you thought. :)

~~~

I am not a handicraft expert at all, but that's part of the reason Maria invited me to contribute to her Meet the Maker series on @youngmakerscollective.


She asked me to discuss crafting with a large family, and I went into how I came to cultivate a maker culture without that background myself. Here's my intro post, and if you scroll back through her feed you can see the set of ten posts she featured last week, including each of my kids' favorite handicraft.

Any tips for crafting in large families! Our process is always evolving. :)

~~~

Bridget kicked off our family's September birthdays by turning SEVEN a couple weeks ago. Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting -- can't go wrong!



~~~

The kids have had so much fun with sloyd lately. I have especially loved seeing our handicrafts collide as they combine their sloyd projects with their papercutting.





I can't even count how many little envelopes and picture frames they have made. And those Mr. and Jenny Wrens by Bridget made my heart melt.

We also added Solfa this year with Children of the Open Air and 2yo Justin is picking it right up along with everyone else. He walks around the house doing his hand notes and singing "Sol-Me" right on pitch.

This education is really just too lovely for words. <3

~~~
Our artist this term is Turner, and we really enjoyed looking at these two paintings side by side last week: Chichester Canal and Petworth Park. I thought you might too. :)


~~~

How is your school year going?

11 comments:

  1. Well a subscription to Common Place Quarterly just went to the top of my Christmas list!!! How exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow..... a magazine.... ohhhhhhh!

    And I love the crafts! What's the thing with the leaves in the bottom center???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my nature journal! :) You can read more here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTsRz4gigH/?taken-by=youngmakerscollective

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're all busy and having fun! Love those handicraft pictures!

    Our school year is exhausting this expecting mama, but we're picking up more of the things we didn't get to last year. The kids are enjoying their work, and I am feeling tired but fulfilled in our schoolwork. Not so much in everything else. :-)

    We're getting there, though. I always enjoy reading what you have to say about school and life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tired but fulfilled" about sums it up! And thanks. :)

      Delete
  4. Best start in three years, so much more to add in, but finally have the hang of it! I'm so excited. My 6 yo feels he does not have enough play time however and lets me know, every day lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's wonderful -- hooray! And that age is so funny. They still love playing so much. <3

      Delete
  5. Hi Celeste! I attended the CMEC retreat and cannot thank you enough for all the work that you do to educate us and encourage us in this journey! In the packet, I read all your end of term questions/evaluation out loud to my husband because of how incredible they were and he asked if they were available anywhere so that he could share them with other parents. Obviously, I won't share them as they are a part of the package to purchase, but I didn't know if you had them or another version of them somewhere on your blog? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Thank you, I am so glad you found them helpful! I don't have a version up on the blog yet -- I have been saving it so that the CMEC Retreat Package will have original content in it for members. :)

      Delete
    2. Ok gotcha! It's priceless!!

      Delete