Monday, October 1, 2018

Keeping Company :: Fall 2018

Hi friends! Happy Fall!  It's time for our quarterly consideration of all-things-notebooks, inspired by the blogosphere and the @keepingcompanycm community.

Starting the Conversation

We have been engaged in lots of notebook-keeping now that school has restarted.

Gianna and Vincent are making weekly drawings in their Books of Centuries.  I am making almost-weekly drawings. I can never quite keep up with them! :)


I am at weekly work on my new pre-reading notebook -- and enjoying it as much as I did last year.


My Form I and II kids are all reading a geographical text called Our Country and Its People. They decided to start a pictorial map alongside.



Xavier, my 8yo, asked if he could please start a commonplace book like his older siblings this year. He does this in his free time, separate from the copywork he does with me. (If I assigned it, I am sure he would be less enthusiastic at this age. ;)) His entries are so sweet -- I love how they give me a window into his mind.


Cate started formal written narrations this year. She is very excited about her Narration Notebook.


My Form I kids are keeping a small notebook alongside The Burgess Bird Book. Xavier said Mr. and Mrs. Wren reminded him of Mary and Martha. <3


It is always an injection of motivation to begin fresh notebooks at the start of the year! I would love to see into your new-school-year keeping.

From the Community

This past month, I curated a week on Mother's Diaries @keepingcompanycm, inspired by my talk on reflection for the CMEC retreat in July. Some mamas shared a peek into the notebooks they are keeping for each of their children, and I linked to the wonderful two-part article, A Mother's Diary by Miss Beale. Nancy Kelly has a great series on this form as well.

You can read all of the posts here!


Do you keep a Mother's Diary?

We have also had a bunch of mamas talking about fall!

@llward1

@essentials_with_jane

@accidentalstars
Aussie Carol shares a helpful and inspiring post all about nature study over the past couple months.

Isn't this beautiful?
Melissa shared one of her favorite homeschool tools for notebooking -- have you ever used one of these?  She also rounds up the tangible signs of their learning from this past year.

And now it's your turn!

The Link-Up

:: For BLOGGERS: Leave a link to any blog posts related to CM-style keeping in the comments section of this post all quarter.  I will be sure to click over and read so I can highlight them here in the next edition!

:: For INSTAGRAMMERS: Tag related photos with #KeepingCompanyCM.  You can also follow my new account: @keepingcompanycm. I will be re-sharing daily on that account from posts tagged!
:: Any posts about CM-style Keeping are welcome.  Your post can be as simple as a photo of your commonplace book or your kids' drawing.
:: You can grab the button over there on the sidebar if you'd like to add it to your post or site.



Thanks for your participation! Can't wait to see what you are up to.

7 comments:

  1. Is the book, Our Country and Its People, the one pictured in the book stand in photo #2? This looks like a lovely book. Is the author Buckbee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is a Rand-McNally Atlas of World History: https://amzn.to/2IuoqgQ It's a great resource!

      Our Country and Its People was recently reprinted by Riverbend Press but I believe is free in the public domain too. :)

      Delete
  2. I love following what your family's doing in their notebooks - it makes me so happy to see all that learning!
    Here's a post I wrote about why we keep Commonplace books https://www.theusualmayhem.com/2018/02/keep-commonplace-notebook/

    I'm looking forward to seeing what others are up to as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great post! You and I definitely share a love for the humble commonplace book. :) And I love seeing the individuality shine through, like you described!

      Delete
  3. You're such an inspiration!
    Here is the edition of my newsletter, The Dish, in which I explain my system for my commonplace.
    http://www.delightfullyfeasting.com/2018/02/the-dish-mothers-review-4.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you include an index in your commonplace! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Not necessarily a keeping post, but I put together some thoughts on memory work.... https://thisismycalcutta.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-glory-days-are-over-timeline.html

    ReplyDelete