Sunday, July 21, 2019

{This and That} :: Happy July!

So, I'll get to the big news first... I realized I never shared here that Baby #10 is due just after the new year!


I felt awful for a few months but am slowly regaining energy and health. Hoping to feel all the way back to normal just in time for our new school year to begin in early August!

~~~

Last week I was in Philadelphia for the CMEC Summer Retreat. I really enjoyed getting out of town for a few days -- the change of pace was such a nice break from the difficult first trimester I had had, and I started to feel better just in time to enjoy the trip. I was so relieved everything came together in time.


I will be posting a big wrap-up of my trip there -- the retreat, the Mason chat, and our trip to the Philadelphia Art Museum -- in the next week. It has taken me a week to recover (ha!) and now I just need to sort through photos!

I have two more speaking engagments planned this year and then I'm taking a break until after baby...

CM West :: Retreat at Puget Sound is coming up in September! It's filling up but there are still a few spots left -- and they're hoping to offer some commuter spots once it fills completely. Now that I have the CMEC Retreat behind me, I will begin prepping for my talks there. My focus will be on the third tool of education, the presentation of living ideas, as well as how all three tools work together. The retreat is filling up very quickly!

In October, I'm planning to present a half-day fall retreat for CMEC members. We'll be considering the role of the lesson, teacher, and student and trying to get to the heart of the Mason philosophy through how those interactions work out in daily work. That will include some immersion lessons too, as well as lots of discussion and some personal reflection tools to take home. :)

~~~

Birthdays! I had three birthday boys this late spring / early summer...

The milestone birthday was for our first teen in the house! Vincent turned thirteen and headed to an A's game with Gianna and Daddy to celebrate.

Drew turned five. He'll be a kindergartener next year!


And my current littlest, Damien, turned two earlier this month!


~~~

This summer hasn't gone quite like I expected. Being in the first trimester, my energy for plans and projects went WAY down. But one thing that has been a nice blessing is the chance to just spend lots and lots of free time at home. The children have had so much fun playing board games, listening to audiobooks, reading, drawing, sewing, and playing outside. It has been very unhurried and refreshing for them (if not for me!) and I have such a good feeling that they will come to the new school year with enthusiasm and renewed spirits.




In his free time, Xavier sewed up another handmade project: this felt dagger, which he designed and made all by himself! My favorite part is the embroidered hilt.


He thought about sewing a sword belt, but then realized he could sling one of his (many) knitted chains around his waist. Perfect!

This fall we'll be embarking on clay modeling, I think, for our handicraft time together. Anyone have favorite resources to share?

~~~

Speaking of fall: I still have quite a bit of planning to do but am really looking forward to this coming school year... Or at least the first half of it, until we add a newborn to our roster. :) We are hoping to start either the first or second week of August. I have the bookshelves filled and ready to go, but I have to get our timetables and the hands-on subjects prepped.

I'm adding a non-reading Year 1 student this year, which is always a bit of a challenge to coordinate around the other grades I'm managing. But she is so excited to begin "the serious business of education" as Mason calls it that I know it will be a year full of joy.

~~~

I'll be back later this week with a Retreat Recap! See you then.

11 comments:

  1. LOVE the idea of the Shakespeare people -- how fun! Thanks for the tip about Sculpy. We used Sculpy when my big kids were small but I haven't gotten it out in ages. I'm sure it will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are through the first trimester sickness, Celeste. Congrats! I miss you on IG a bit, but I know you are blessing your family and everyone through the retreats you are speaking at. I'm barely surfacing post-partum after 3 months, you remind me of the Energizer bunny. LOL! ;) I'm not quite as busy as you and you just keep going, going, and going. We mothers make the world go 'round, do we not?! ;) Bless you as you prepare and head into your new school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amy! Postpartum is more challenging for me than pregnancy, even the first trimester. I was so laid up this time around and just eked out getting better in time to travel to Philly. It was a close call! But I'm hoping to have a strong start to the school year to account for the inevitable break and "babymoon school" that will be happening in the second half. :) Thank you so much for the prayers! <3

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new little blessing! How wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Such wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Celeste! I enjoy your blog posts as always! Wish I could attend some of your retreats to glean some CM wisdom from you!

    Best wishes
    Antonia
    England
    (..or rather, Italy, which is where we are right now on vacation!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that some day we will meet, Antonia! :) But I have to say, as nice as Philly was, Italy certainly doesn't sound half bad... ;)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on baby number 10! :) So glad you are out of the first trimester and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Useful article, thank you for sharing the article!!!

    Website bloggiaidap247.com và website blogcothebanchuabiet.com giúp bạn giải đáp mọi thắc mắc.

    ReplyDelete